as simple as these posts are, they are some of my favourite posts to put together. i set up a draft, and throughout the month i update it with the small things that have made me happy. every single time it brings a smile to my face, or at least to my mind. taking note (whether literally or mentally, even if it’s a fleeting thought) of the small things that make me happy or little things i notice is incredibly important to me. it’s a one of my most necessary coping mechanisms and has saved my life and sanity on more than one occasion. if you’ve noticed a lot of my photos focus on little details and close ups of things ..this is totally part of that.
i will never judge a person that chooses not to notice the small things that most people miss or don’t think about, but it can absolutely make your life that bit better. not just because you’re being grateful for your surroundings and circumstance, but also because (and this is hard for me to say and may come of as hypocritical as i am a huge pessimist) there is good in (almost) everything and every situation. it may be a tiny, microscopic glimmer of hope, but it is there.
i think rewatching fringe recently has had quite an impact on my thoughts on perception, ha! in one episode walter says: “Perception is largely an emotional response. How we feel affects the way we see the world.” now i know obviously that is not an original thought, but it seemed an apt thing to quote.
anyway, on to my list!
– the smell of the air after a rainstorm
– having unexpectedly productive days
– looking through my collage bits (whilst sorting them out)
– sitting in silence in the autumn sun
– satisfyingly thick jiffy envelopes
– new books
– genuine compliments (both giving and receiving them)
– wrapping up warm
– drinking lots of green tea
– the smell of fresh apples
– birthday chocolate
– the soft smoothness of a new pair of tights
– giving in to being sleepy and drifting off to sleep
– similarly, hearing ava purr loudly and then softly and she falls asleep under a tent of blankets
what’s made you happy recently?