– small thoughtful gifts
– when people are truly understanding
– that strange sense of calmness when my room/area is tidy
– feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin
– seeing people being thoughtful and caring towards others less fortunate
– getting whiffs of the scent of my hair the day after washing
– feeling warm, even if that means i have to wear multiple layers and blankets to get there
– this grandma
– getting a few nights of actual restful sleep (despite still waking many times – can’t have it all!)
– smelling delicious food – even if i can’t actually eat it
– taking a few minutes to drink some tea in peace
– having ‘good days’ (or the odd hour or two) amongst the bad ones
– small relief from near constant pain
– scoffing an entire chocolate bar. sometimes you just gotta.
the small things | 8 was last modified: 08:00 by laura redburn
a ‘small things‘ post is the perfect thing to end the year with i think. this year has been pretty rubbish personally, and obviously globally too. but of course there have been good things and wonderful moments too.
for as long as i can remember i have strived to be grateful for things big and small, and to be vigilant and aware of little moments and things most might take for granted. i’m so glad i actually started writing some of these things down in the form of these posts, because it’s lovely (for me, anyway) to look back on them.
what small (or big) things have made you happy this year?
here’s some of mine, as well as some more recent things mixed in too.
– having the opportunity to create illustrations, both on a personal and professional level. hope i can continue to keep getting work in the following year(s)
– the clean, warm feeling when you’ve gotten out of the bath and are wrapped up in pyjamas and blankets
– being able to figure out some of the foods that are making me ill and avoiding them, less heartburn and reflux is always welcome!
– finding colour and pattern in unexpected places
– getting better at editing photos
– finding this pink chair
– finally, FINALLY asking for help and getting some therapy
– slowly becoming more confident (but also admitting to myself i have a lot of self esteem issues)
– appreciating small kindnesses from others
– a nice glass of cold water, and/or a cup of hot tea
– realising just how much i love chickpeas
– seeing some wonderfully pretty cotton candy sunsets
– meeting up with wonderful internet friends in real life, as well as making new friends on-line that i hope to meet next year
the small things | 7 was last modified: 09:05 by laura redburn
– i’ve said this one before – but people being kind to me, it means the world
– having a few nights sleeping straight through, this is a real rarity for me and even if i’m still feeling ill, depressed or anything else, it still makes a difference
– finding a lovely new scent (jade, from miss patisserie) it has all my favourite things of a fragrance – bergamot, floral, and slightly powdery/musky. it smells so similar to my custom floris fragrance, which i adore, so a spritz of this takes me back to that lovely experience.
– taking photos, always. always.
– stroking my boyfriends hair when he’s asleep. it fills me with love and happiness. also he hates his hair being touched so i feel a little cheeky too, ha!
– after years of searching, finding my dream crochet blanket
– having moments of clarity
– getting things done, especially when i’ve been putting them off
– when certain pains go away after days/weeks/months of having them
– very brief moments of forgetting i have tinnitus
– autumn/winter sun, and more specifically when there’s a chilly breeze – but being all wrapped up
the small things | 6 was last modified: 08:00 by laura redburn