this year so far has been pretty hard to deal with, both on a personal level as well as on a level beyond myself. things are never easy, but they seem particularly hard and trying and i’m really struggling to cope. i feel like i’m getting closer to an edge that i will easily lose grip of.
so, as always a short list of ‘small things’ that have made me happy or lifted my spirits:
– drinking lots of green tea. it really does help to take a few minutes to have some calm.
– the salted caramel green & blacks chocolate, it’s bloomin’ delicious.
– ava sitting by my side to keep warm. she never really used to, and it warms my heart.
– remembering to find beauty even on the worst days, if only for a moment.
– kind people, always.
– taking photos, always.
– noticing that it’s slowly getting lighter in the evenings.
– finding fantastic stamps in my favourite charity shop.
– seeing my friends and acquaintances have small and bigger successes.
– small thoughtful gifts
– when people are truly understanding
– that strange sense of calmness when my room/area is tidy
– feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin
– seeing people being thoughtful and caring towards others less fortunate
– getting whiffs of the scent of my hair the day after washing
– feeling warm, even if that means i have to wear multiple layers and blankets to get there
– this grandma
– getting a few nights of actual restful sleep (despite still waking many times – can’t have it all!)
– smelling delicious food – even if i can’t actually eat it
– taking a few minutes to drink some tea in peace
– having ‘good days’ (or the odd hour or two) amongst the bad ones
– small relief from near constant pain
– scoffing an entire chocolate bar. sometimes you just gotta.
a ‘small things‘ post is the perfect thing to end the year with i think. this year has been pretty rubbish personally, and obviously globally too. but of course there have been good things and wonderful moments too.
for as long as i can remember i have strived to be grateful for things big and small, and to be vigilant and aware of little moments and things most might take for granted. i’m so glad i actually started writing some of these things down in the form of these posts, because it’s lovely (for me, anyway) to look back on them.
what small (or big) things have made you happy this year?
here’s some of mine, as well as some more recent things mixed in too.
– having the opportunity to create illustrations, both on a personal and professional level. hope i can continue to keep getting work in the following year(s)
– the clean, warm feeling when you’ve gotten out of the bath and are wrapped up in pyjamas and blankets
– being able to figure out some of the foods that are making me ill and avoiding them, less heartburn and reflux is always welcome!
– finding colour and pattern in unexpected places
– getting better at editing photos
– finding this pink chair
– finally, FINALLY asking for help and getting some therapy
– slowly becoming more confident (but also admitting to myself i have a lot of self esteem issues)
– appreciating small kindnesses from others
– a nice glass of cold water, and/or a cup of hot tea
– realising just how much i love chickpeas
– seeing some wonderfully pretty cotton candy sunsets
– meeting up with wonderful internet friends in real life, as well as making new friends on-line that i hope to meet next year